On Friday, we reattempted our trip to site. Our bus, this time, left at 2:00 PM, and our trains were scheduled for the exact same times. We got to the station without a hitch, and were able to begin our new time at site. Even more exciting, for me, was a double cheeseburger and a brewed cup of coffee at a McDonald's next to the train station. It was a delicious taste of Western excess and I loved every second of it. If I knew Ukrainian better, I would have even asked for Mac sauce on the double cheeseburger, and been back home for a few minutes.
Once back in the station I was able to find the Kyiv Post, and The Economist at a newsstand. The Kyiv Post is probably the best English language paper in Ukraine, it is a weekly. The Economist, was about a month old, and cost 25 UAH, but I have not had any time to read commentary of world news, so I was incredibly excited to find it, and gladly made the purchase. We spent our time waiting for the train again shooting the breeze, followed by a game called Bananagrams, which I had never played, but was pretty fun. I know my mother enjoys it. I was the champion of the final round, and made sure everyone knew.
The ride to Zhmerinka was four hours on the train. Another volunteer was on the same train, but she got off about two hours before me. Her exit was a bit more stressful than mine. My stop was the end of the line, so I had all the time in the world to get my bags off, and their were not many people still on the train by that point. By comparison the other volunteer had only a two minute stop to get all her gear off. I helped throw the bags off for her, but it ended up that we rushed for no reason, because the train ended up stopped there for a while.
Once we got to Zhmerinka, we were met by my counterpart's daughter, and son-in-law. They helped with my bags, and hailed a cab from the station for us. The cab brought us to my new apartment, on the 5th floor of a rather large building. I will take, and send pictures some time soon. I was showed my room, the kitchen, how the stove works, how the hot water works (only between 9:00 AM – 10:00 PM, though). Who thought my first ever apartment would be in a sleepy town in central Ukraine? I know I didn't.
I was also shown around town the next day, Saturday. I went to the supermarket, I was shown the Catholic Church, and various stores around town. My apartment is about a 10 minute walk from the town center, and about 20 minutes from my school. I even have a gas station near me that sells Pringles! Unfortunately a can costs 27 UAH, which is more than I pay for two days worth of groceries. So, maybe one day I'll feel the need for Pringles, but as of now I do not.
I had a few days to settle in, before school started for me, on Wednesday, the 23rd. I enjoyed my first class with the new students. It was funny, we had a reading about newspapers, and for one of the answers to what we need when there is a story, a student responded “redactors.” I had trouble not laughing, but in his defense, the Ukrainian word for editor, sounds like redactor. It was just funny to hear in a country with a relatively new free press.
The kids like to say “Good Morning” to me. This is regardless of the time of day. They are also interested in America, and where I come from. Mostly, because Rhode Island is only 3 hours away from New York. I was asked if I had children back in the states, or a wife, which is funny to hear as a 23 year-old American, but at this age here, I would most likely be married and have started a family.
I will continue with more later, but I am getting a bit tired. I will also take some photographs, but I will wait for tomorrow. We are having a snow-storm right now, and I want to wait until the gray, disgusting slushy snow is covered by new fresh coating of white.
Also, for the record, I am cooking for myself, everyday. Also, I found a place that sells hot dogs, which is a nice taste of home every now and then.
Goodbye, and Go Friars,
Pete
Monday, December 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Pete! My Dad just sent me the link to your blog. I hope all is well in Ukraine! It sounds like you are truly on the adventure of a lifetime. Best of luck in all you do. Keep in touch!
ReplyDelete-Charlie