Print Friendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Build Up

I decided I would leave work on September 18. I spent the final days packing, getting the rest of my necessary provisions, and saying good-byes. Eating all my favorite foods, drinking as much beer as I could, and having three straight going away parties. It was a great week, and weekend.

I left Tuesday morning. I got to the Providence airport, and got right through security, and check in and prepared to take my flight to Philadephia. I arrived in the City of Brotherly Love and got a cab to the Holiday Inn in the Historic District. It was exciting to finally get staging taken care of, and get started on the two and a half year adventure.

So, after meeting some fantastic people, 47 to be exact, plus three members of the Peace Corps staff I was excited when the regional director of the Eastern Europe, Mediterranean, and Asia came in to speak to us. The news that came was absolutely shocking. Long story short is, that after signing us in as official Peace Corps Trainees we were put into a status of "Interrupted Service". This means:

A Volunteer may be separated with interrupted service status if the Country Director determines that circumstances beyond the control of the Volunteer make it necessary for the Volunteer to leave his or her present assignment.

The government of Turkmenistan, with no notice, or reason, had decided that they would not be accepting the volunteers of my group.

People in my group had sold homes, left good jobs, and put careers on hold. Not to mention the expense of application, and final preparations (this is in terms of medical tests, appointments, purchasing necessary provisions, and the like). People had broken up with boyfriends/girlfriends, given pets away, and said their tearful goodbyes. There were many emotions in the room: shock, anger, disbelief, and just absolute dejection.

So, as it stands, we wait for new assignments. We were told that we are now a priority for the office. As a credit to the Peace Corps, many of my fellow group memebers have now been given new assignments. As for me, I am sitting, waiting, wishing, and probably contacting the office way more than I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment