I have decided to start a blog. Generally I hate bloggers, mostly because of the sense of self importance said bloggers feel their words have, just because they are written. Here is my attempt at a blog. I make no promises with how often it will be updated, but will attempt to update whenever possible.
Here is my Peace Corps Timeline:
My application, while done by May of 2008, was not ultimately submitted until mid-September of 2008.
From there my application was reviewed, and I was interviewed on Friday, November 21. I interviewed with January Zuk, a recruiter in the Boston office, and was confident that the interview went well.
From here, however, there was a long time before I was ultimately granted a nomination. My nomination, to a teaching program in Central Asia leaving in September 2009, was received on December 29, 2008.
From here it was time for my medical and legal clearance. After getting all my medical tests done, including an orthopedic exam of my shoulder, and a personal statement about ADD because I had been tested for that as I child I sat and waited as the medical review was done. The medical tests are long, annoying, and complex, and the review can take as many as four months (at least as of April of 2009). From the day my medical tests were sent in to the day I was granted my final clearance it was only 16 days. I was thrilled at the expedience with which this was handled, and hoped I was on my way for an invitation.
I was called on May 16 and told that I would, indeed, be a good fit for the program in Central Asia. However, the placement officer was not able to tell me over the phone the country in which I would be placed. I received the invitation in the mail on May 19. After getting the assignment, finding out that Turkmenistan was a real place, and checking out what I could, I ultimately accepted the invitation on May 21, my 23rd birthday.
The program was scheduled to have a Staging event in Philadelphia leaving on September 28, and arriving in Turkmenistan on October 1 . . . All was good in Meeganland.
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm enjoying your blog!
ReplyDelete